Wednesday, August 15, 2012

HV Legion Team Retires Jake Madnick's Number

The resurgence of baseball in Huntingdon Valley has been an exciting time for the community, coaches and players.

This year the American Legion team made the playoffs for the first time in over a decade and had eight players make the All-League team in Lower Montco.

But all of the accolades and team success wouldn’t have been possible without its leader Jake Madnick. The starting catcher helped guide HV to a 15-5-1 regular season and was an instrumental voice on and off the field for his teammates.

Madnick enters his sophomore season at Philly U. in the fall and will no longer be able to play baseball in Huntingdon Valley. Since his voice won’t be heard, coach Evan Horn made sure legacy will live on forever by retiring his number at the recent end-of-the-season team banquet.
It’s the first time a number has been retired by the American Legion team, and now no player will ever wear Madnick’s No. 8 again.

“I was shocked, I was real honored,” Madnick said. “I didn't really know what to say. Words can't describe how happy I am … It was just really a special moment. I had my grandmother, my grandfather, all my family.”

Jake’s on-field play makes him an easy choice for his teammates to look up to him. He plays like every game; every inning like it’s his last, and that kind of attitude is easily noticeable by everyone.
“Behind closed doors he was the best player I’ve ever played with and I played three high school sports for four years”
- teammate Chris Ruhl

“Definitely the best teammate I ever had. When we stepped on the field he was the one telling us we need to stay focus. He was easily the best teammate, best leader I’ve ever played with.”
- teammate Ross Goodman
Horn said it was an easy decision to retire his number. “His leadership, the way he plays the game, the person he is, and the dedication he puts in,” Horn explained. Horn also said he was almost like a secondary coach to him, going over lineups, strategies, game plans etc. before each game.

“The reason I made a difference was because I play with passion and heart – and I credit that all to my dad,” Madnick said. “Growing up my dad used to tell me stories of how he was the captain of the LM football team. I wanted to be like my dad and want to play with all my heart. He always instilled in my brain to play like Pete Rose and give your heart and hustle. I want people to remember that about me.”

Fans will be reminded of Madnick and his Charlie Hustle approach whenever they see his No. 8 hanging at the baseball field at Lower Moreland High School.

“It was a special way to end my career,” Madnick said. “This was kind of my last mark on the town before I left.”

No comments:

Post a Comment