Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Huntingdon Valley Begins First Playoff Run in Over a Decade

Before the Lower Montco American Legion Baseball season began, Lower Moreland’s Jake Madnick had a decision to make.

Last year the Huntingdon Valley team finished a game under .500 and this year the former four-time Letter Winner at LM had a choice to stay and play locally or compete at Philadelphia University during the summer after just finishing up his freshman season.

Fast forward a couple of months later and Madnick couldn’t be happier with his pick. He’s helped lead Huntingdon Valley to a 15-5-1 record and its first playoff appearance in 14 years, which begins today at 5:30 p.m. at Lower Moreland High School against Roslyn.

“I was looking to take the summer off for college ball,” Madnick said. “Coach called me before the season about a couple new guys and basically told me he needed me on the team to put all the pieces together and we're going to win a championship together.”

While a championship is still a couple of victories away, coach Evan Horn’s vision of Madnick’s importance to the team was spot on. Madnick had a .289 average and was second on the team with 12 RBI’s, but it’s his leadership qualities that make him stand out and not the statistics.

“Jake has been a humongous leader on the team,” Horn said. “It's been incredible to watch this kid as a team leader. He’s been the backbone of the re-emergence of Huntingdon Valley baseball.”

With the playoffs on the horizon, Madnick’s decision to stay looks even better.

“I got chills up and down my body,” Madnick said. “I've never won a championship at any level. I’ve been in the organization since 2008. I'm so anxious to get the game started. This is the best team I’ve been on, the most fun team I’ve around.”

HV is led by a strong pitching staff and a couple of new faces that have a made a big impact. Newcomers Jake Yannessa and Dan Johnson each have four wins in their first season on the team while Matt Myers had a career year hitting .548 with three homers and driving in 16 runs.

Paul Buckley has also been a valuable asset as a relief pitcher recording eight saves and allowing just one earned run all season.

“Once we get to the 6th inning, I feel pretty confident that things will go our way. We have really good pitching,” Horn said.

Coming into the season the team had three goals: win 15 games, make the playoffs and eventually win a championship. So far the team has achieved two of those goals with a third in the near possible future.

Huntingdon Valley hasn’t won a title in 20 years, but the team looks to end that streak starting today in the double-elimination tournament.

“I expect to have my team ready to rock and roll and put our best foot forward,” Horn said.

No comments:

Post a Comment